Limiting our collections
We will only collect personal information if:
- it is for a lawful purpose that is directly related to one of our functions, and
- it is reasonably necessary for us to have the information.
How we will collect personal information
- We will collect personal information directly from the individual concerned unless it is unreasonable or impractical;
- We will not collect personal information by unlawful means;
- We will not collect personal information that is intrusive or excessive; and
- We will take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we collect is relevant, accurate, up-to-date and complete.
When collecting personal information, we will tell the person:
- what it will be used for;
- what other organisations (if any) routinely receive this type of personal information from us;
- how the person can access their personal information held by us;
- whether the collection is required by law; and
- what the consequences will be for the person if they do not provide the information to us.
We will enable anyone to know, upon request, whether we are likely to hold their personal information, and if so:
- what type of information we hold about them;
- the purposes for which it will be used; and
- how they can access their own personal information.
- We will take reasonable security measures to protect personal information from loss, unauthorised access, use, modification or disclosure; and
- We will take reasonable steps to ensure personal information is stored securely, not kept longer than necessary, and disposed of appropriately.
Access and amendment
- We will allow people to access their personal information without unreasonable expense or delay;
- We aim to respond to requests within 30 days;
- We will only refuse access where authorised by law, and we will provide written reasons;
- We will allow people to update, correct or amend their personal information where necessary, to ensure it is accurate, relevant, up-to-date, complete or not misleading; and
- Where possible, we will notify any other recipients of any changes.
Before using or disclosing personal information, we will take appropriate steps to ensure that the information is relevant, accurate, up-to-date, complete, and not misleading.
Use and disclosure
We will use or disclose personal information only for the primary purpose for which it was collected, unless one of these apply:
- the person has consented;
- for a directly related secondary purpose within the reasonable expectations of the person; and
- to a related or associated company for the purpose of providing a service.
We do not use linked health records, nor do we use unique personal identifiers. It is not practicable for us to provide anonymous services.
The Privacy Manager,
Unity Fund Services
PO BOX 1318
Royal Exchange NSW 1225